Friday, January 20, 2012

God Love Ya!

While out for a 3.6 mile run yesterday, I passed a woman taking in her garbage cans. She shook her head at me and said, "God love ya!".  Well...it was a bit cold out. About 20 degrees, and at that point I was heading straight into the wind. Ugh. I really don't mind cold weather running, but I can do without the wind. Her saying that gave me an extra boost!

The other day I answered a poll on Active.com that asked if you'd rather exercise in extreme heat or extreme cold. I chose cold.  The only thing I enjoy doing in extreme heat is hanging out in or near the water with an ice cold beer.

Really...running in the cold isn't that bad.  After spending most of last Winter (the Winter that never ended) training outdoors for my first full marathon, I got pretty used to the cold.  We ran in all kinds of weather (except good) - rain, snow, sleet, wind, more snow, more rain, more wind. On one occasion, training was cancelled due to wind chills (it was about 10 degrees without the wind chill). But 3 of us met anyway and ran 12 miles.  It was COLD.  But afterwards, the sense of accomplishment was wonderful.

Today's temps ranged from 5 degrees this morning, to the teens this afternoon.  While I don't mind the cold, I have to say, I'm not going to put up a fight about it being a "rest" day.

Stay warm runners! Before you know it, we'll all be complaining, '"It's soooo hot!".

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment